Milwaukee Criminal Defense Lawyers
The Milwaukee criminal defense attorneys of Hart Powell, S.C., one of Wisconsin’s finest criminal defense law firms, are dedicated to representing clients who have been accused or charged in federal and state criminal matters. At Hart Powell, S.C., our criminal defense attorneys are licensed to practice in various states before multiple federal, state, and appellate courts. When it comes to your defense, experience matters. Turn to the skilled criminal defense attorneys of Hart Powell, S.C. to provide you with exceptional legal representation as you face criminal charges.
The criminal defense attorneys of Hart Powell, S.C. understand that we are not only fighting for your rights, but also for the future of your family, job, and reputation. As such, the criminal defense lawyers of Hart Powell, S.C. will do everything in our power to ensure that your rights are protected, your interests are safeguarded, and your entitlement to a fair legal proceeding is maintained.
To learn more about the Milwaukee criminal lawyers of Hart Powell, S.C. and the services we provide, please take a moment to explore the website or call our Milwaukee office at (414) 271-9595.
A group of attorneys working together,
fighting for your rights.
Why Do I Need A Criminal Defense Attorney?
If you are facing charges for any crime, from a felony to a misdemeanor, having an attorney is necessary to weather the legal battle ahead. The landscape of law is constantly changing, and you need someone whose full-time job is monitoring and adapting to it. Now, not all attorneys are equal. Some, like public defenders, are overworked and can’t always give every case the care and quality advice they need. A knowledgeable attorney who has spent years in business providing their clients with the best defense possible is the best way to ensuring a smooth future ahead.
Hart Powell, S.C. has been in practice over twenty years and is widely recognized as one of the top names in defense law. We understand the worry and uncertainty that follows an arrest. Facing charges can pick apart a reputation and livelihood that you spent your life building. Our firm is dedicated to defending you and what you have built. The process to freedom is tough, but it can be assisted with experienced legal representation. Over the decades we’ve had the honor to protect good people who have stared down unjust charges, and we can help you.
Why Should I Choose Hart Powell, S.C. to Represent Me?
Since 1993, the Milwaukee criminal defense lawyers of Hart Powell, S.C. have been committed to ensuring that every citizen facing criminal charges has the right to fair and impartial trial under due process of the law. Our legal team is dedicated to ensuring your rights are upheld. A team comprised of our outstanding attorneys speaks for itself:
- Michael F. Hart has practiced law for almost 30 years and has carved out a impressive presence in the courtroom. Recognized as a Wisconsin Super Lawyer, he was a former appointee to the Bradley Center of Sports and Entertainment Corporation by the former Governor of Wisconsin, Jim Doyle.
- Craig Powell has worked at the firm since 2005 and has been a partner since 2011. He is devoted to making sure the accused have their rights respected and upheld. He is recognized as a “Rising Star” Lawyer for six years by both the Law & Politics and Milwaukee Magazines and has been rated a 10.0 “Superb” by AVVO.
- Geoff Misfeldt is not afraid to challenge unconstitutional laws and has argued numerous cases of injustice across Wisconsin. Having won favorable results in front of the Wisconsin Supreme Court and prepared petitions to the United States Supreme Court, Misfeldt is dedicated to upholding the law.
- Daniel Sanders has extensive experience in complex criminal procedures and has worked extensively on a variety of cases from immigration fraud to money laundering. Sanders is licensed to practice at the Wisconsin State level and Federal District Courts.
We are extremely proud of our legal team. They will aggressively represent you and make sure that your arrest doesn’t define you. Our firm has the experience to get results, and we have proven that time and time again. Contact a professional defense attorney at Hart Powell, S.C. to get started clearing your name and fighting your charges today.
Milwaukee Criminal Defense Practice Areas
The Milwaukee criminal defense lawyers of Hart Powell, S.C. have the experience to defend our clients against any charges they are facing. We are well equipped to defend our clients in federal and state courts as well as appellate court appeals.
- Bank and Mail Fraud: Federal prosecutors have an endless supply of resources and you need someone strong to counter cases from the FBI and DEA.
- Drug Trafficking and Conspiracies: there is a host of invasive methods the federal agencies will employ against you. You need an experienced attorney to analyze your case thoroughly.
- Gun Crimes: firearm rights have seen over 20,000 laws and regulations in recent years. It is inevitable that good people will get caught in the confusing web.
- Internet Sex Crimes: an internet sex crime can destroy your whole life. Your words can be twisted completely out of context and used against you.
- Medicare and Healthcare Fraud: A trusted and experienced attorney can effectively represent and build an iron case against any kind of healthcare of Medicare fraud.
- Perjury and Obstruction of Justice: If you are accused of making false statements under oath, you could be facing perjury charges.
- Pre-Indictment Investigations: Any statement made to federal agencies without legal representation builds a stronger case against you.
- RICO Conspiracies: Instated to fight against organized crime, the RICO act is used to accuse two or more people of criminal conspiracy.
- Trade Secrets: potentially breaking a non-disclosure agreement is a serious charge and requires astute legal representation.
- Trademark and Copyright Infringement: Laws regarding trademarks and copyright infringement are oftentimes vague and confusing.
- Armed Robbery: A potential felony conviction carries fines, and years in prison.
- Domestic Violence Offenses: Domestic violence accusations can ruin reputations, careers, and families.
- Drug Crimes: An attorney is the only way to combat jail sentences and debilitating fees of a drug charge.
- DUI/OWI: A DUI conviction can destroy any potential career options and affect your reputation.
- Firearms Offenses: As a citizen, your right to bear arms not always a given. The smallest legal blunder can lead to jail time.
- Fraud: Fraud is so harshly punished even intending to commit fraud can land someone in jail.
- Homicide and Murder Charges: Homicide and murder charges are complex and near impossible to combat alone.
- Probation and Parole Revocations: Probation and parole requirements are complicated and a fair trial is crucial to combat any probation or parole revocation.
- Theft/Burglary: Theft related charges could cost thousands of dollars in fines and up to 20 years in prison.
- Sex Crimes: Damaging to one’s reputation and family, a sex crime accusation cannot be taken lightly.
If you have been charged with any variety of federal or state crimes, you need an experienced attorney representing you. Remember, speaking with any law enforcement or federal agents can only build a stronger case against you. Make sure you speak with an attorney before making any official statements.
Does It Make Me Look Guilty to Hire An Attorney Immediately Following an Accusation?
Hiring an attorney after being charged with a criminal accusation is vital. You want to make sure you are getting sound legal advice from the beginning of the process. Taking an accusation lightly most often leads to excessive fines or even prison. Federal prosecutors and law enforcement will start building a case against you the moment you are charged. Any statement made after the initial charge is built into the case against you. Having an attorney with you from the beginning can make sure you case stays valid, and your rights are upheld.
Wisconsin Criminal Law
The Wisconsin court system sees a lot of cases each year. In 2016 alone, there were 852,828 cases opened across the state. Of these, there are 122,949 pending a result. These stats were taken from the Wisconsin Court’s public website caseload statistics. As many trials can take up to two or three years to pan out, prosecutors use this to their advantage. Federal agents and law enforcement wait for their suspects to let their guard down before, sometimes illegally, seizing evidence. Hiring an attorney can ensure that your rights and freedom are constantly their priority so you can focus on clearing your name.
It is no mystery that the trial process is difficult. In fact, there is a statistical map of Wisconsin created by the Measures of Justice showcasing the counties of Wisconsin by a percentage of how many felony charges were actually resolved by trial at court. The largest was Grant County, WI, with 5.67% percent of felony charges going all the way to trial. This may surprise many of us who grew up watching shows like Law and Order, which dramatized the criminal justice system. In reality, a lot of cases are settled out of court or just seen before a judge without a jury. Knowing which legal path your charges will be taking is crucial to ensuring that your rights are upheld. Having an experienced attorney help guide your case is the only way to be informed on the changing landscape of justice.
Contact a Milwaukee Criminal Defense Attorney Today
Every citizen has rights that need to be upheld. It’s in the constitution, and it’s our firm’s standard. When you hire an attorney from Hart Powell, S.C., you are making sure that you are getting the full fairness of the law. We fight for the best deal possible for you. Don’t let your charges dictate your life. Let us worry about your presence in the court of law so you can focus on your family and reputation. Call us today at (414) 271-9595, and we can begin the process of winning back your livelihood.
Recent Results from Hart Powell, S.C.
- No conviction in high-profile homicide case. Craig S. Powell’s persistent defense prevents the State from winning a conviction against client in a nationally publicized cold-case homicide trial. Details
- Not Guilty verdict in sexual assault Case. Client was a doctor accused of sexually assaulting a patient. Michael F. Hart and Craig S. Powell teamed up for trial and convinced the Ozaukee County jury that their client was innocent of the charge.Details
- Not Guilty verdict on aggravated battery Charges. Client was accused of aggravated battery of an elderly person after a home poker game brawl. Michael F. Hart’s cross-examination exposed significant holes and inconsistencies in the State’s case, resulting in the client’s acquittal.Details
- Len Bias Homicide enhancement dismissed. Client was indicted in Federal court for conspiracy to deliver heroin resulting in death, a charge carrying a mandatory minimum sentence of 20 years. Attorneys Dan Sanders and Geoffrey Misfeldt used an outside medical expert to establish that the cause of death may have been heart disease rather than a heroin overdose, resulting in the dismissal of the 20-year mandatory minimum sentence enhancement.Details
- Prosecution for growing marijuana dismissed. Client was charged with growing marijuana at his home. Investigators were unable to get a search warrant so they showed up at client’s home to try and get consent to enter and look around, a police tactic known as a “knock and talk” investigation. While the client did allow the police to enter his home, resulting in the discovery of the marijuana growth, Craig S. Powell argued that the client’s consent was tainted by one officer’s illegal entry to the client’s enclosed backyard. The court rejected the testimony of the investigator who denied being in the backyard prior to the client giving consent, agreeing with Powell that the subsequent search of the home was a violation of the client’s constitutional rights.Details
- Quarter-Billion dollar fraud prosecution ends with probation. Client was indicted with 10 other individuals on allegations they were involved in a scheme to defraud product manufacturers of more than $250 million worldwide. After nearly 10 years of pre-trial litigation, Attorney Dan Sanders convinced the Government to dismiss the client from the conspiracy and the client pled to an amended charge resulting in a sentence of probation and no incarceration.Details
- Contested sentencing hearing saves client 15 years. In a nationally publicized case, the client was arrested in Los Angeles. The DEA believed he was “the centerpiece” of their three-year investigation and called him the “highest-level synthetic designer drug trafficker apprehended to date in the United States.” As part of the plea agreement, the lawyers of Kohler Hart Powell reserved the right to argue against the application of several guideline enhancements. At the sentencing hearing, Michael Hart, Dan Sanders, and Geoff Misfeldt showed the Judge that the government’s claims were overblown. A potential 17 1/2 year-sentence was reduced to 30 months.Details
- Police officer’s testimony deemed not credible, gun and drug charges dismissed. Client was charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm and felony possession of marijuana. Through cross-examination of the officer and analysis of the officer’s body camera, Craig S. Powell demonstrated to the judge that the officer’s testimony attempting to justify his search of the client’s car was untrue. The court excluded gun and drug evidence found in the car resulting in a dismissal of the charges against the client.Details
- Theft charge dismissed. Client was charged with felony theft. Before making any appearances, Geoff Misfeldt convinced the prosecutor, based on a diligent investigation, that his client was innocent. The prosecutor agreed and dismissed the case. Attorney Misfeldt later convinced the Court to remove all reference to the case from CCAP.Details
- Gun charge dismissed. Client came to Geoff Misfeldt the day before a plea and sentencing hearing, facing months in jail. The client did not want to do any jail time for what was believed to be a criminal offense. After hearing the client’s story and verifying the information through research and investigation, Geoff convinced the prosecutor that his client was innocent. The case was dismissed.Details
- Pre-charge investigation saves client from homicide charge. Client was threatened with being charged with homicide by intoxicated use of a vehicle. Geoff Misfeldt traveled hours to inspect the vehicle and meet with the prosecutor. By inspecting the evidence, Geoff noticed that the vehicle was kept outside, which destroyed any biological evidence it may have contained. He convinced the prosecutor the case could not be proven, and the client instead received tickets and was fined.Details
- Federal Post-Conviction Sentence Correction. Client had been sentenced to 18 months in federal prison and ordered to pay nearly $1 million in restitution for committing fraud. He hired Kohler Hart Powell after sentencing to see if anything could be done. Attorneys Dan Sanders and Geoff Misfeldt determined that the client, the government, and the Judge all overlooked an important detail. Even though the government resisted, the team at Kohler Hart Powell convinced the Judge to vacate the prison sentence. The Court set restitution at zero, and the client was placed on probation.Details
- Powell wins extended supervision revocation hearing. Client was on extended supervision for an old drug offense, and was taken into custody based on supposed allegations of sexual assault by his ex-girlfriend’s daughter. The Department of Corrections moved to revoke client’s supervision and send him back to prison for 5 years. Powell contested the allegations at a revocation hearing, and through cross-examination of the Department’s witnesses established that no assault had actually occurred. Client was released from custody and no new charges were filed.Details
- Probation revocation victory. Client was on probation with several years of prison hanging in the balance when client was indicted in Federal court for allegedly being a member of a large drug conspiracy. The Department of Corrections sought to revoke the client’s probation and send him to prison. Craig S. Powell contested the revocation at a hearing and convinced the Administrative Law Judge that there was not enough evidence to sustain the revocation. Client was released back to finish his probationary term.Details
- Homicide charges dismissed without trial. After an exhaustive investigation and months of litigation, Dan Sanders' relentless determination deconstructed the State's highly-publicized murder case... Details
- Stun Gun and Marijuana Possession Case Dismissed Based on Illegal Seizure. Milwaukee Police Officers approached client sitting in legally parked van... Details
- Prosecution of Marijuana Grow Operation Dropped. Police entered client's house without a warrant to conduct a welfare check. Details
- Court of Appeals Orders Sexual Assault Case Dismissed. Craig S. Powell convinced the Wisconsin Court of Appeals that the criminal complaint filed against his client was unconstitutional. Details
- No Criminal Charges to be Filed Against Milwaukee Bucks Star - Michael F. Hart represented Larry Sanders, center for the Milwaukee Bucks, regarding an altercation at a Milwaukee nightclub. Details
- Not Guilty in Child Sexual Assault - Michael F. Hart won an acquittal for his client in a Milwaukee County child sexual assault case. Details
- OWI-1st Reduced to Reckless Driving - Associate Geoffrey Misfeldt convinced the prosecutor to reduce OWI charge to reckless driving after demonstrating a number of proof problems. Details
- Negligent Boating Law Declared Unconstitutional - Client was charged with violating a rarely-used boating law after being involved in a boating accident. Details
- Hart Powell, S.C. Wins Appeal at Wisconsin Supreme Court - Client was charged with violating her professional duties. Geoffrey Misfeldt convinced a tribunal to dismiss the case on summary judgment grounds.Details
- Craig S. Powell Wins release for Client Found NGI In the Killing of Two Police Officers as a Teenager - In a highly-publicized and emotion-laden case, Craig S. Powell convinced a Waukesha County jury that his client could be safely released to the community. Details
- Craig S. Powell Wins Dismissal of Gun Charges for Client Based on Illegal Search - Craig Powell recently won a dismissal of gun charges against his client. The client was surrounded by police in a gas station parking lot based on a claim that the client's tail light was broken. Details