Whitefish Bay Criminal Defense Lawyer
If you’ve been arrested for or charged with a crime, your world has likely been thrown into disarray. A criminal conviction or even an arrest record can follow you for the rest of your life, affecting your ability to obtain housing, employment, or receive federal benefits. It can negatively impact your family and loved ones, their reputations, and yours.
When you are charged with a crime or arrested, you have certain inalienable rights that must be protected. The U.S. Constitution grants us all these rights from the moment we’re born or become citizens. There is no more critical time to fight hard to protect your rights than when your life and liberty are on the line.
The Whitefish Bay criminal defense attorneys of Hart Powell, S.C. understand the stakes and are prepared to help you during this challenging time. Criminal law is complex, and our attorneys have the experience and knowledge to represent you in your case and help you reach a favorable outcome. Call us today at (414) 271-9595 or contact us online to schedule a consultation.
Federal and State Cases We Handle
The criminal defense lawyers at Hart Powell, S.C. have experience handling many different federal and state criminal cases.
We can represent you if you’ve been charged with any of the following federal crimes:
- Drug trafficking and drug conspiracy
- Racketeering or RICO charges
- Bank and mail fraud
- Perjury and obstruction
- Trade secret infringement
- Medicare and healthcare fraud
- Trademark and copyright infringement
- Internet sex crimes
We can also represent you if you’ve been charged with any of the following state crimes:
- Drug possession, manufacturing, and/or distribution
- DUIs (driving under the influence) or OWIs (operating under the influence)
- Armed robbery, theft, and burglary
- Homicide, murder, and manslaughter
- Sexual assault, rape, molestation, incest, indecent exposure, lewd acts, pornography, and prostitution
- Domestic violence and abuse
- Probation and parole violations
Additionally, if you’ve been convicted of a crime, we can help you appeal your conviction.
What You Need to Know About Being Arrested or Charged with a Crime
Just because you’ve been arrested for a crime, that doesn’t mean you will be charged with a crime. And you can be charged with a crime without being arrested for a crime. When you’re arrested for a crime, it is because law enforcement believed you committed a crime. To be charged with a crime, the district attorney, state prosecutor, or federal prosecutor must possess evidence that they believe proves you have committed a crime. In rare instances, a Wisconsin state prosecutor may indict you for a crime. That may happen when evidence is presented before a grand jury, and the grand jury decides that evidence is enough to charge you. You may also be indicted for a federal crime.
If you’ve been charged with a crime, the first thing you should do is consult an attorney. Do this before you speak with any member of law enforcement or anyone in the district attorney’s or prosecutor’s office. This is incredibly important because law enforcement officials and prosecutors are skilled in getting individuals who’ve been charged with a crime to say certain things that may incriminate them. Speaking to law enforcement or prosecutors without an attorney present can be detrimental to your case. The same is true if you’ve been arrested for a crime. Always request an attorney as soon as you are arrested; it’s your constitutional right.
You cannot be arrested or charged with a crime that occurred outside a legally specified time frame. This time limit is known as the statute of limitations. Each state specifies the statute of limitations for state crimes by law, as does federal law.
You can be arrested for and/or charged with two types of crimes: misdemeanors or felonies. In Wisconsin, if you’ve been charged with a misdemeanor, you could face up to 9 months in jail and a hefty fine of up to $10,000. If you’re charged with a felony in Wisconsin, you could face up to life in prison and a fine of up to $100,000. If you’ve been charged with a federal misdemeanor, you could serve up to a year in jail. If you’ve been charged with a federal felony, you could serve up to life in prison. Fines for federal misdemeanor and felony offenses can range from $5,000 up to $250,000.
Why Choose Hart Powell, S.C.
Our firm was founded with one mandate: to help our clients fighting criminal charges get the best possible result. The attorneys at Hart Powell, S.C. have an expansive understanding of criminal and constitutional law. We have decades of experience representing clients in Whitefish Bay, WI, in a wide range of serious, criminal matters. Our commitment to and tireless work for our clients is evident in the success we’ve had representing them in their federal and state cases, from not guilty verdicts to outright dismissals of their charges. Here are just several of our results:
- Dismissal of client’s marijuana manufacturing charge, after successfully arguing that law enforcement violated the client’s Fourth Amendment rights
- Dismissal of client’s gun charges, after successfully arguing that the client was charged as a result of an illegal search, violating their Fourth Amendment rights
- Dismissal of federal bank fraud charges and a fine paid to the client by the corporation
- Not guilty verdict for a client charged with felony theft, after proving during trial that there was a significant lack of evidence
- Not guilty verdict for a teenage client charged with first-degree reckless homicide, after successfully challenging eyewitness testimony and the credibility of witnesses
- Dismissal of federal drug trafficking charges for an imprisoned client, after a successful appeal and successfully proving issues with the search warrant. The client was immediately released
As you can see, we’ve had great success in thousands of cases. While we can’t guarantee an outcome in your case, we can guarantee that you will receive our same tireless commitment to helping you fight your case that has brought our past clients these great results.
Hire a Criminal Defense Lawyer from Hart Powell, S.C. Today
If you’ve been arrested or charged with a crime, you need an attorney right away. It’s imperative for your case that you’re represented by an experienced, skilled attorney. The Whitefish Bay criminal defense attorneys at Hart Powell, S.C. are superior and knowledgeable in many areas of criminal law. We’ve helped thousands of clients fight their criminal charges, and we can help you, too. Call us today at (414) 271-9595 or contact us online for a consultation.