Menomonee Falls Criminal Defense Lawyers
Being arrested and charged with a crime is one of the most frightening and intense experiences you will face in your life. A criminal conviction could cost you your freedom, your voting rights, your gun rights, and your personal property. It could also leave you with a social stigma for having a criminal record. You could also be barred from getting a particular job, obtaining a loan, or living in certain areas if you have a criminal record.
If you find yourself under arrest in Menomonee Falls, contact Hart Powell, S.C. right away. Our Menomonee Falls criminal defense lawyers have more than 30 years of experience and have defended people in state and federal cases across Wisconsin. We can help protect your rights, make sure you are treated fairly by police and prosecutors, and work to get your criminal charges dismissed or the potential effects of a conviction reduced as much as possible.
Our Wisconsin criminal defense attorneys have handled everything from weapons and drug charges to sex crimes and murders. Call (414) 271-9595 today or visit our contact page for a confidential consultation.
Criminal Cases We Handle
Our Menomonee Falls criminal defense attorneys have handled state and federal criminal cases involving many different offenses. These include:
- Mail and bank fraud – Federal authorities often use mail fraud or bank fraud charges to add criminal counts against a defendant and increase the potential penalties they may face.
- Drug trafficking – Federal agencies like the FBI and DEA are responsible for investigating drug cases that cross state lines, and these charges carry significant jail time and heavy fines.
- Weapons charges – Owning a gun illegally or using a gun in the commission of a crime is an easy way to end up with a federal case against you.
- Internet sex crimes – Many internet sex crime cases involve people in multiple states, which means they fall under federal jurisdiction. These cases carry both significant jail time and heavy social stigma if you are found guilty.
- Medicare/Medicaid fraud – Because Medicare and Medicaid are federal healthcare programs, anyone accused of defrauding these programs can end up facing federal fraud charges.
- Perjury and obstruction of justice – If you have already been accused of a crime, lying under oath or blocking a criminal investigation are also crimes in and of themselves, and being found guilty generally carries severe penalties.
- RICO conspiracies – Organized crime cases are generally outside the scope of state or local law enforcement agencies, which means they are handled by federal agencies like the FBI. Being arrested on RICO charges is something to be avoided at all costs, as federal authorities can be ruthless in their efforts to obtain a conviction.
- Armed robbery – Using a gun or other lethal weapon while committing a robbery usually entails tougher penalties if you are found guilty.
- Domestic violence – In response to societal pressure, police and prosecutors have started coming down on those accused of domestic violence. A domestic violence charge also carries a significant social stigma, so it is important to vigorously dispute these charges as quickly as possible.
- Drug crimes – While federal authorities investigate drug crimes that cross state lines, state authorities typically handle standard drug crimes that occur within the state, though a state drug charge can still carry significant jail time and hefty fines.
- Drunk driving – Thousands of Wisconsin residents are injured or killed in drunk driving accidents, and authorities frequently treat alleged drunk drivers harshly. Being convicted of drunk driving could send you to jail and cost you your driving privileges.
- Fraud – State authorities take fraud cases extremely seriously, and even attempting to commit fraud could lead to an arrest. In addition to lengthy jail sentences, fraud charges often carry significant financial penalties.
- Homicide/murder – As you would expect, homicide charges carry some of the stiffest potential penalties under Wisconsin law. A homicide conviction could send you to prison for the rest of your life, so be sure to get help from a lawyer right away if you are arrested on homicide charges.
- Burglary/theft – Being accused of taking someone else’s property, either directly off their person or from their home or business, can land you in deep trouble. These charges carry hefty jail sentences and fines.
- Sex crimes – “Sex crimes” is a broad category of offenses that includes everything from unwanted sexual touching and rape to possessing or producing child pornography. In addition to jail time and fines, sex crimes charges often require anyone who is convicted to register as a sexual offender, which can severely impact your ability to find a job or a place to live.
Why You Need a Menomonee Falls Criminal Defense Attorney
The reason you need help from a Menomonee Falls criminal defense attorney is simple: Without one, you are much more likely to lose your freedom, your property, and other important rights. Criminal cases are extremely complicated and can turn on minute points of law, so without someone who understands these cases, you are much more likely to lose in court and face the worst possible penalties for your alleged offense. An experienced Wisconsin criminal defense lawyer can protect you from tricks police and prosecutors like to use and see that you are treated fairly by the justice system.
Why Hire Our Criminal Defense Lawyers?
Choosing the right lawyer to represent you in a criminal case is important, and here are a few reasons to choose Hart Powell, S.C. if you have been accused of a crime:
- Our experience – We have decades of combined courtroom experience, and our team includes a former federal prosecutor, making us one of the most well-informed criminal law firms in Wisconsin.
- Our approach – While you will work primarily with one of our attorneys throughout your case, our entire legal team will help develop your legal strategy to give you the best chance of staying out of jail.
- Our results – The best way to judge a law firm — especially a criminal defense firm — is by its results, and we have a proven track record of success. Just recently, we were able to convince a jury that a doctor accused of sexually assaulting a patient was not guilty of the alleged offense.
Contact a Menomonee Falls Criminal Defense Attorney Today
If you have been accused of a crime in Menomonee Falls, and you want to avoid jail time or other penalties, you cannot afford to wait to get a Hart Powell, S.C. lawyer on your side. For a confidential consultation, call (414) 271-9595 or visit our contact page.