Hunting and fishing may be a divisive issue among certain groups of people, but they remain popular activities for individuals in many parts of the country. Although fishing and hunting wild game is legal in most states, there are limitations on where and when people may participate in such activities. If a person fails to follow the rules and regulations regarding hunting or fishing, he or she may face criminal poaching charges.
Individuals who are accused of poaching have the right to defend themselves in a court of law. If you or someone you know stands accused of poaching, contact the Milwaukee criminal defense lawyers of Kohler Hart Powell, SC at (414) 271-9595 to discuss your case. Reasons for Poaching Charges
An individual may be accused of poaching if he or she:
- Fails to obtain a proper license from the state
- Hunts or fishes for animals during protected seasons like mating season and other times of the year
- Attempts to fish or hunt on restricted property
- Uses an illegal weapon to hunt wild game
- Hunts animals before or after legal hours
- Captures animals for illegal transport
- Removes endangered plants or animals from the land
It is important to know the laws regarding hunting or fishing in your state, and when traveling to other places, you should research the requirements and restrictions of that specific area.