Appleton Perjury and Obstruction of Justice Attorney
Facing either perjury or obstruction of justice charges, which involve either falsifying official information or attempting to wrongfully manipulate the courts, can be an extremely frightening situation for any defendant to find themselves in. This is largely due to the severe penalties, which can include extended prison sentences and thousands of dollars of punitive fines, that such allegations can carry. Additionally, many people charged with perjury and obstruction of justice may not fully understand these charges, added even greater stress to their situation.
What Are Perjury and Obstruction of Justice?
When a person is arrested on perjury charges, their allegations may include one of the following accusations:
- The defendant made false statements knowingly after swearing an oath
- Information was knowingly concealed when otherwise asked about
- Documents filled out or signed knowingly included false information
- The defendant lied in court
Obstruction of justice, on the other hand, deals primarily with instances of manipulation or unnecessary delays with the courts. These crimes may include the following illegal acts:
- Evidence was intentionally hidden from the courts
- Evidence was tampered with prior to a trial
- Court officials, jury members, witnesses, or judges were threatened
- A witness was paid to provide false testimony
- During a trial, a defendant used a loudspeaker or other high-volume method of protesting outside a courtroom
Both of these crimes can carry particularly harsh, long-term sentences that can seriously damage a person’s future if convicted.
Learn More from a Perjury Lawyer in Milwaukee
If you have been charged with either perjury or obstruction of justice in Milwaukee, our lawyers at Kohler Hart Powell, SC can provide you with legal defense options that may reduce your charge or have it dropped altogether. To learn more about how we may be able to help you as a defendant, call (414) 271-9595.