Milwaukee Criminal Defense Lawyers
The attorneys of Kohler & Hart, one of Wisconsin’s finest criminal defense law firms, are dedicated to representing clients who have been accused or charged in federal and state criminal matters. At Kohler & Hart, our attorneys are licensed to practice in various states before multiple federal, state, and appellate courts. When it comes to your defense, experience matters. Turn to the skilled criminal defense attorneys of Kohler & Hart to provide you with exceptional legal representation as you face criminal charges.
The attorneys of Kohler & Hart understand that we are not only fighting for your rights, but also for the future of your family, job, and reputation. The criminal defense lawyers of Kohler & Hart will do everything in our power to ensure that your rights are protected, your interests are safeguarded, and your entitlement to a fair legal proceeding is maintained.
To learn more about the Milwaukee criminal lawyers of Kohler & Hart and the services we provide, please take a moment to explore the website or call us at 888-565-7597.
Trust Our Experience
In practice since 1977, Marty Kohler has developed a reputation as a talented and tenacious litigator, and has been consistently recognized by his peers as a leader in criminal defense. Over the last three decades, Marty has successfully handled thousands of cases, from white-collar offenses to arsons, sexual assaults to drug conspiracies, and virtually everything in between.
Marty is especially well known for his work in homicide cases. He has represented hundreds of homicide defendants, and built up a remarkable record of acquittals, a number of which have involved confessions by the accused. Contrary to the common adage that “if you kill someone, you go to prison,” Marty has on several occasions been able to obtain probation for defendants who have been convicted of homicide. more »
Recent Results from the Lawyers of Kohler & Hart, SC
- Michael Hart Secures Reduced Charges and Sentences for S.C. Johnson Heir. Michael Hart, Craig Powell, and Geoff Misfeldt of Kohler & Hart, SC, were recently able to secure dramatically reduced charges and sentencing…Read more >>
- Stun Gun and Marijuana Possession Case Dismissed Based on Illegal Seizure. Milwaukee Police Officers approached client sitting in legally parked van… Read More >>
- Prosecution of Marijuana Grow Operation Dropped. Police entered client’s house without a warrant to conduct a welfare check. Read More >>
- Court of Appeals Orders Sexual Assault Case Dismissed. Kohler & Hart Shareholder Craig S. Powell convinced the Wisconsin Court of Appeals that the criminal complaint filed against his client was unconstitutional. Read More >>
- No Criminal Charges to be Filed Against Milwaukee Bucks Star – Michael F. Hart represented Larry Sanders, center for the Milwaukee Bucks, regarding an altercation at a Milwaukee nightclub. Read More >>
- Not Guilty in Child Sexual Assault – Michael F. Hart won an acquittal for his client in a Milwaukee County child sexual assault case. Read More >>
- OWI-1st Reduced to Reckless Driving – Associate Geoffrey Misfeldt convinced the prosecutor to reduce OWI charge to reckless driving after demonstrating a number of proof problems. Read More >>
- Negligent Boating Law Declared Unconstitutional – Client was charged with violating a rarely-used boating law after being involved in a boating accident.Read More >>
- Kohler & Hart Wins Appeal at Wisconsin Supreme Court – Client was charged with violating her professional duties. Martin E. Kohler and Geoffrey Misfeldt convinced a tribunal to dismiss the case on summary judgment grounds.Read More >>
- Craig S. Powell Wins release for Client Found NGI In the Killing of Two Police Officers as a Teenager – In a highly-publicized and emotion-laden case, Kohler & Hart Shareholder Craig S. Powell convinced a Waukesha County jury that his client could be safely released to the community. Read More >>
- Craig S. Powell Wins Dismissal of Gun Charges for Client Based on Illegal Search – Kohler & Hart Shareholder Craig Powell recently won a dismissal of gun charges against his client. The client was surrounded by police in a gas station parking lot based on a claim that the client’s tail light was broken. Read More >>
- Michael F. Hart and Craig S. Powell Team Up to Win Dismissal of Felony Drug Charges – Kohler & Hart client was charged with possession of cocaine with intent to deliver. Police were executing a search warrant at the client’s residence and seized the client standing on the sidewalk down the street. Read More >>
- Kohler & Hart Client Found Not Guilty of Felony Theft – Craig S. Powell won an acquittal for a client charged with felony theft. The client was accused of stealing property during the dissolution of a commercial lease arrangement. Read More >>
- Sexual Assault of a Child Case Dismissed – Client was charged with sexual assault of a child. Despite the dubious credibility of the allegations, the case proceeded through the system. Read More >>
- Shareholder Craig S. Powell Wins New Trial For Client in Child Sexual Assault Case – Client was convicted at trial of repeated acts of sexual assault of a child and sentenced to 25 years in prison. There was no physical evidence in the case to support the accusations against the client; it was simply the child’s word versus the client’s word. The client hired Kohler & Hart to pursue an appeal. Read More >>
- Kohler & Hart Wins New Trial for Client Convicted in Shooting Case – Client was represented by a different law firm at trial and was convicted of first-degree reckless injury by use of a dangerous weapon and of being a felon in possession of a firearm. Read More >>
- Reduced Sentence in Federal Child Pornography Case – Client was indicted in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin for distributing and possessing child pornography.Read More >>
- Concealed Weapon Case Dismissed – Attorney Craig S. Powell’s client was legally parked in a Milwaukee neighborhood, waiting for his girlfriend, when Milwaukee Police Officers approached and ordered him out of the car with his hands in the air. Read More >>
- Kohler & Hart Petitions Wisconsin Supreme Court to Protect Right to Bear Arms – Not all felony convictions justify the denial of an individual’s right to bear arms. Kohler & Hart attorneys Craig S. Powell and Geoffrey R. Misfeldt are attempting to make that case to the Wisconsin Supreme Court.
News Article 1 | News Article 2
- Stun Gun Ban Unconstitutional – Kohler & Hart attorney Craig S. Powell was recently able to secure a favorable ruling for a client charged with illegally possesing an electric weapon, commonly referred to as a stun gun.
- First Degree Reckless Homicide While Armed – Not Guilty
Attorney Craig S. Powell’s 19-year-old client was charged with fatally shooting another teenager in an attempted armed robbery. More >>
- Reduced Sentence in $34M Embezzlement Case
A former Koss executive accused of embezzling more than $30 million received a reduced sentence of 11 years in prison for six counts of federal fraud. More >>
- Hobby Lobby Shoplifting Scheme
Related Article – Two women face fraud charges after stealing and then selling several scrapbooking materials from Hobby Lobby over a five-year period. More >>
- First-Degree Reckless Homicide – Not Guilty
News Article Part 2 – Acquittal in Sheboygan Murder Trial. Kohler & Hart argued self-defense, and the jury agreed.More >>
- Wisconsin Court of Appeals Reverses Felony OWI Conviction
Appeals Decision - Wisconsin Court of Appeals Reverses Felony OWI Conviction Court opinion (PDF) The Wisconsin Court of Appeals agreed with the attorneys of Kohler & Hart in reversing a client’s conviction for a felony OWI-3rd conviction and reducing it to an OWI-1st. More >>
- Former Food Bank Employee Cleared of Felony Theft Charges
News Article - A former worker at Second Harvest was recently acquitted of three charges of felony theft in connection with the disappearance of over $300,000 of the food bank’s money. more >>
- Homicide-Not Guilty
Client was charged with one count of homicide and one count of attempted homicide. Based on the expert evidence presented by Michael Hart, which included…more >>
- Wisconsin Court of Appeals reverses conviction for guns and drugs
In a published decision, the state appellate court agreed with the Kohler & Hart legal team, and threw out a 2006 conviction for cocaine and illegal firearm possession based on an invalid search warrant. Craig Powell wrote the brief; Brian Kinstler litigated the case in the trial court, and argued the case in the Court of Appeals. more >>
- Jury finds Milwaukee officer not guilty
In a case based on a prostitute’s 2004 accusation, a fired Milwaukee police officer won acquittal Thursday on charges he more >>
- Court says search violated rights
Taking aim at a tactic used by Milwaukee police, a federal court found that officers and federal drug agents violated more >>